Safer Internet Day
It's Safer Internet Day on Tuesday 5th February, and to celebrate, we have compiled a range of tips to support your little ones on their digital journey.
We understand that the internet can be a large and scary place for parents and children alike, and as time goes on it becomes increasingly important to help children to be safe online.
What to discuss with your little one
- Discuss with your little one what they like online - games, apps, activities
- Discuss any questions they may have
- Discuss what is inappropriate and inappropriate behaviour online
- Discuss what to do if they see something upsetting or inappropriate online
Safety - what you can do
- Use Broadband filters - as a parent you are able to use parental controls and privacy settings with your internet supplier to give your child a safe space on the internet. You can find out details on how to do this at internetmatters.org
- Download Age Appropriate apps
- Consider using devices built for children to manage what they see
Health / Lifestyle Balance
- Encourage your little one to engage in a strong mix of online and offline activities
- Help them to balance passive screentime; such as streaming, with active screen time - which may include creative activities, moving with the screen activities or learning activities,
- As a parent you could consider setting screen time and allowances for your little one
- Don’t forget, the internet can be a fun and educational place and can be used as a chance to spend some quality time with your little one whilst they’re growing up! So why not sit down with them and explore what’s out there, whether that be games, videos, activities or apps!